15 Beautiful Black Fishtail Braid Hairstyles You Would Love
Who wouldn’t love Black Fishtail Braid Hairstyles? They are beautiful, versatile, trendy, and most of all easy to make. With different styles and sizes to choose from like fishtail bang with rakes, fishtail french roll retro, fishtail braid with shaved sides the inspiration is just endless.
fishtail braid hairstyles works perfectly for both short and long hair.
Fishtail braid looks so much like french braid but different. fishtail braids requires you depending on the style to grip the hair tighter and adding smaller section of hair each time than french braid.
Difference Between Fishtail Braid and French Braid
Here are 15 gorgeous black fishtail braid hairstyles to inspire you. Also, below you will find step-by-step instructions on how to achieve beautiful looking fishtail braid.
Step-by-Step Fishtail Braid Hairstyles
First Method Fishtail Cornrow:
- Even though fishtail braid is done with two strands you will be starting with three strands.
- Start off with a small section right off front.
- Divide the small section into three strands.
- Bring the right strand over to the middle firmly securing it with your left hand, the middle strand to left.
- Gently pick just half of the section on the left bring it over the middle section and join it to the right section.
- You should have just two strands now.
- Make sure to start with a criss-cross so you don’t end up with a hole in the front of your braid.
- Continue adding hair each time you slid your finger in the front line. Pick half of the hair you crossed and bring the small strand left in the opposite direction.
- If you don’t pick up that little bite and add it to the opposite side, it is going to loosen the moment you let it go
Remember the smaller your sections, the better your braid will look.
Second Method Fishtail Ponytail:
- Begin by dividing hair into two sections.
- Take a small piece of hair from the back of the left section of hair, bring over the left section and add to the right section.
- Repeat on the other side, taking a small piece of hair from the back of the right section, bringing it over the right section and adding to the left.
- Continue doing this motion all the way down the braid, taking a new small piece of hair each time.
- Secure the ends with an elastic.
Fishtail braid updo option is great for weddings, proms or any occasion. You can do fishtail braids on an old or new curlformers set hair. The less frizz you have the more visible the fishtail pattern will be.